Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Fala Portugues?

we picked up Chad the other day. so far, he is the only person who has been impressed by my Portuguese. and that was only for about five minutes.

you know the song that you really love the rhythm to, but can´t quite make out the lyrics, and since you love that particular song so much you just sort of make up words so that you can sing it?

this is a good way to get made fun of.

such is my Portuguese-speaking experience. i love this language. it is beautiful. i love the smooth purr of it being spoken so quickly. i love that words pop out of mouths at their beginnings, but are softened at the end by gentle ch´s or gg´s or rrrr´s. it´s good on the ears.

hearing it contstantly all around me is no longer a novelty, but i still enjoy listening to it. however, since i can´t speak it and need to, i am usually just making things up. i´ve learned to turn my 30 use-able vocab words into sentences with some Heather-gibberish added in to compensate for everything else. i´m surprised by how often this seems to get things done. or at least at how often the Brasilians just humor me.

it has been a good smacking experience for me to be so daft with a language, especially being one who love the intricacies of English so much.

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

You go girl! I can just hear your Portuguese-Heatherness totally getting you through.

Hepworths said...

They love you, I know it. Can't wait for you and Adam to jabber in portuguese.

Gabi said...

Oooooh... Don't say that Chad is the only person impressed with your Portuguese! Fernando and I are also impressed. we remember the day we met, that you had such a dificulty to speak or understend any Portuguese at all... Now you can actually say things and be understud. It's nice!!! =D

So, how are things in the last days?! Enjoying as much as you can?!

Love.
G.

Trishelle said...

Hey! You'd totally impress me with your rad skills...and my grandpa is full-blown Portuguese! (Augh shucks...As impressive as I'd like that to be, I can't speak a lick of the language.)