Sunday, April 19, 2009

The Flag



my first monday morning at my current school, a student giving the announcements began to lead the Pledge of Allegiance.  this was unexpected to me and as it began i panicked for a moment, looking around the room for students who cannot stand for the Pledge due to religious or other issues.  i needn't have worried.  since i started in February, and i'm teaching high school instead of middle school, students who are uncomfortable with the Pledge already know their rights.  the entire class stood.

today as i was walking into church, two 12-year-old boys were raising the flag.  a grandpa was walking ahead of me.  when he saw the boys and their process, he set down his briefcase and put his hand over his heart until it was complete.

perfect example of reverence.

3 comments:

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

that's a cool post.

Trishelle said...

Heather, this is a great post. I admire your ability to take a moment to notice the significance of what was happening around you. What a special moment. I wish I could hug the man you saw by the church. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Dustin said...

you're very aware of the subtleties of people.