Monday, January 4, 2010

Girl Advice

i couldn't fall asleep last night because i was excited to see my students.  weird but true.  and it's a good thing school started again, because ________ needed to have a conversation.  it went like this, as he sauntered up to my desk after class:

him: "miss, have you noticed that people don't really hold hands anymore?"

me, not really paying much attention: "i have not noticed.  in fact, people actually still do hold hands."

him: "i hate holding hands."

me, now only pretending to not be paying much attention: "girls like it."

him, with a manly snarl: "i feel like i am going to, like, crush the girl's hand or something." 

me: "well, how exactly are you holding hands?"

him: "just holdin'.  then, my hand gets all sweaty and i feel weird when i have to let go to wipe it on my pants.  it's sick."

me: "don't let your palms touch.  just lace your fingers together, but don't smash the hands to each other.  and sometimes you can sort of change position or switch hands."

his eyes narrow in thought.

me, gently:  "holding hands is something ya just should do, if you like the girl.  it's nice.  it's most important that you grab her hand with confidence.  act like you know what you're doing."

him, shrugging:  "well anyway, happy new year."

hee hee.  cute.


2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Totally cute!!

Trishelle said...

That is adorable(...might I add that you gave brilliant, sage advice.)

I love how your student can trust you to talk to you like that; to shed the teenage boy shell and show a little vulnerability.