Friday, June 26, 2009

It's like rain on your wedding day...a free ride when you've already paid.

ironic is this:

the day i moved into my apartment as a college freshman i met my across-the-way neighbors, two girls who were quite old.  one was 21 and the other, a returned missionary from Oklahoma, 23.  both single and completely normal.  neither realized the level of her life's despondency.

i thought then that if i got to 21 and was unmarried, i'd be embarrassed and die.  and, by the way SICK!  who goes to Oklahoma on a mission?  that girl should've stayed home.

three years later, as i opened my own mission call to Oklahoma City, my friend Jeff shrugged and voiced a similar sentiment: "you don't have to go, you know."  i knew that my attitude to the old girl across the hall had come back to bite me in the butt.  

to top off the irony of my 18-year-old know-it-all self, i am thirty and unmarried.  and remarkably unembarrassed.

fast forward a few years and a few singles wards:  Edmond, Philadelphia, Denver, Philadelphia again.  around late-April, early-May enter the Bug Boys into the ward dynamics.  they come in packs of 12, twenty minutes late to sacrament meeting souped up in their flashy ties, flip flops and bleached tips.   you know what i'm talking about.  they're halfway through their summer in your ward right now.  awesome.  i've always been, ahem, bugged by these people.

in the typical pride cycle of my life, i am now the Bug Girl.  i'm selling pest control for my cousin's company in Phoenix.  awesome.

this is why it's a good job for me:  i like walking all over the place, i get to wear a skirt, i talk to interesting people all day, i have a basically undeterrable demeanor, i am learning the names of all sorts of Arizona flowers, and i only have to commit to the job for two months.  perfect.  isn't it ironic?  

7 comments:

Tiffany said...

LOL!! I love the way you write, you're awesome. I always thought it would be horrible to be over 30 and still having children.........

Joy and Ted said...

"Yes, I really do think!" You're the best!

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

so there are flowers in AZ. i had no idea.

Mandy said...

you know I said the same thing about a guy that I knew who went to utah on his mission an how terrible that would be. Yup I ate those words as well.
I am glad you are having fun as a bug girl. I love your post it is so funny

camilla said...

Heath-
thanks for giving me a good laugh. i had to read it twice, it was so funny and enjoyable to read. I love ya.

Heather Bankhead said...

i am surprised that people think this post is funny for some reason.
cam--please tell me you remember that picture of you reading my mission call over my shoulder and having that disgusted look. and then i think we both started crying. that is seriously so funny. i wonder where that is. who has it?

camilla said...

that is ringing some bells, but i have no idea who has it, i don't think it is me