Thursday, June 18, 2009

Yesterday I Drove to Phoenix

the shortest distance between two points is a straight line. which is why i chose to drive on highway 89 to get to Phoenix, where i am living for the summer. it's also an exceptionally pretty route. driving through my entire state in one day, from Cache to Kane County made me appreciate my roots.

i am guilty of only listening to favorites on my iPod, so i tried to get through as many songs as possible on the trip. i made it to track 289. the iPod seemed to favor Cat Power, Griffin House, Dave Matthews, and The Chipmunks. pretty good taste, with some room for improvement.

65 miles an hour doesn't mean much to me. this is because i don't have a working speedometer. this is my lot, as none of my past three vehicles has had one. so, i read my speed by gauging the environment around me. if i am being blown away by semi trucks, i'm going too slow. too fast when the car starts shaking.

i was quite surprised to get pulled over, since there was no shaking. the cop was very amused at my quick document-retrieval skills, and the flower elastic and catholic bracelet in my glove box. he wrote me up for 6 miles over the limit instead of the deserved 20 (not that i could verify the accuracy of this good deed). i think it's cause he liked my music.

ninety-two bucks of thanks, man.

because i'd only gotten a tad over 5 hours of sleep the night before, i was pretty tired. toward the end of the trip i had a solo car dance party to keep myself awake. my brother Myles continued to poke me the last few hours with phone calls and text messages, and Fred decided to drive up and meet me about an hour out of Phoenix to make sure i made it. in the perfect humor of the universe, right as i FINALLY saw the exit i needed, the Hallelujah Chorus took over the dance party.

Hallelujah! now i need to find a place to live.

6 comments:

Dustin said...

you really should be getting more sleep before such a long drive, you know.)

Denice said...

I'm glad you made it safely..you make me smile! :) As in Alvin and the Chipmunks?!?!

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

definitely need more on that ipod. i can recommend some in the second half of the alphabet.

Brian and Nellene said...

Glad you made it safe. love your face!

Mary Ann said...

You are killing me! I love it.

Tiffany said...

I love the new color of your blog...