Thursday, July 2, 2009

I Didn't Mean Anything By That

a man answered a particular door i knocked on tonight, surrounded by little kids.  he said he was interested in the service, but could i come back in a month?  

then the following conversation really happened:

me: "no problem.  what's your name, sir?"
the man surrounded by kids: "(klfjeiojvklm)ike."  this was inaudible.
me: "hm?  Dike?"

no joke.  of all letters to chose to throw before ike, i pulled out a D.  so, like, Dyke.  

the man surrounded by kids:  cocks his head to the side--"Mike."
me:  half gasp, half shriek--"i can't believe i just asked if your name is Dyke."
both of us start laughing.  i am also grimacing.
me: "i'm really glad you have a sense of humor."
the man surrounded by kids: "i have to, look at all these kids."
me: "so can i still come back in a month?"
the man:  "yes."

a few hours pass by.  i am going back through the neighborhood, running to some houses that asked me to return that night.  

i see a man out on his lawn talking to some blonde girl.  i fail to make any connection to my earlier horror moment.

me: "hey!  how's it going?  do you have p----"
the man on the lawn with the blonde: "you were already here.  you're coming back in a month.  you called me Dyke."
blonde girl, laughing: "she called you what?  how did she know?"
me, escaping: "i'll see you in august."
Dyke: "can't wait."

3 comments:

Tiffany said...

LOL!! Thanks for the laugh!!!

Lady of Perpetual Chaos said...

I must admit that I'm curious why that woman asked "how did she know"? Maybe I'm not getting something since it's 4 am?!

Unknown said...

you are awesome!