Thursday, January 10, 2013

Parable of the Cute Shirt

**I originally wrote this post two years ago and discovered the concept eight years ago.  When searching for the post to link it to the one above, I realized I'd never published it.  Here it is, saved from abortion:


a really great shirt often takes precendence over the best-intended money goals.

one day a girl goes window shopping with her friends, determined to stick to her budget and just "look". then, she finds on a back rack the shirt that cannnot be passed over. i mean, true that buying it would blow the budget, but when would she find it again? besides, when making the budget she really wasn't planning on finding such a shirt. so the excuse slides in and the money goal is pushed to next month. then again, if one is really tricky, she can squeeze and twist her budget to meet her wants. she can sort of make this count, even though her re-vamped budget looks nothing like its original shape. sort of like trying to pour into a pair of too-tight jeans. admit it.
after this the girl feels a bit disappointed in her lack of discipline and knows she should have been better. but, she has the shirt now and knows it'll make up for it.

a couple of years ago i moonlighted evenings at Ann Taylor Loft to pay for my braces. my love for clothes and the tempting 60% employee discount often ate up my meager $9 an hour, thus messing up my budget. one day while working i was tossing numbers around in my head to figure out how i could buy a particular could-not-be-passed-up shirt and still stay on budget.

a mind-blowing thought entered my head right in the knick of time: I Don't Need That.  the simple concept was profound.  i could appreciate the shirt was beautiful, and that could be enough.  admiring and acknowleging its lovliness displaced the "gotta have it" mentality.  it dissuaged my desire for the shirt entirely, and i was once again a girl in charge of my own wallet.

overtime, i've found this concept to be likewise applicable to men.  break-ups or lack of reciprocation can be hard, because we let our wants overrule our needs.  we sometimes feed our hopes and desires for a certain guy that we lose a level of sanity.  not to mention dignity.

a much healthier perspective is: "that guy is great.  amazing even.  i see that he is sort of Zeus, but I Don't Need Him."  thus, a girl maintains control of her own sanity. 

this is like a miracle drug.  try it, it works.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

I love your deep thoughts and I'm happy to see you back in the blog-o-sphere!!
But I need boots, snow boots, for my job so I'm going shopping today, but I will try to keep the "I don't need ANY of that as I pass by the clearance racks."