Monday, March 23, 2009

Moving Out


i have an advisory class of seniors.  i see them every thursday for half an hour, and can use the time for whatever i want.  i've decided to teach a series of lessons about moving out of the house for the first time.  

here is a list of topics i brainstormed.  does anyone have any other ideas for things they wish someone would have talked to them about before they took off on their own?
  • finding an apartment: planning and seeking
  • unpacking the apartment contract
  • legal issues around eviction, landlord/tenant responsibilities, deposits
  • stuff you need for your new apartment
  • documents you need to have and how to get them: birth certificate, social security card, passport, insurance info, tax info, etc; be aware of what's in your wallet (in case of loss)
  • travel/studying abroad/learning languages
  • budgeting
  • credit: credit cards, credit history, student loan maintenance
  • paying for school
  • paying for life in general
  • finding cheap groceries and planning healthy meals; easy recipes
  • getting and maintaining reliable transportation
  • manage time, stress, etc.; depression, eating disorders, other emotional health issues?
  • roommate issues
  • volunteer work
  • insurance: car, renters, health
  • laundry
what else did we learn via hard knocks about being adults?

ps-why is it still snowing?

7 comments:

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

hard knocks taught me that sometimes you gotta live in cheap places to save money, but be careful that those places are healthy. you need to be comfortable where you're living other wise you never feel like you belong there. and it's also nice to have closet space. and i realized that i don't need a desk. or a dresser. or a box spring for my bed. and it's not snowing on the east. we're gettin' into the 50's. and there's pink things growing on the trees.

Trishelle said...

This is a great list, Heath. If I knew about half of these when I moved out, I would have saved myself A LOT of hard knox.

I think the one thing that could probably go along with time management would be including some kind of healthy 'down' time. Whether that would be exercise, which in itself is important or finding something else that helps them decompress can be incredibly helpful; especially when things are really stressful. If those habits are already established when their first college finals roll around, they'll hopefully have healthy, productive ways to deal with the pressure.

Also, along with finding reliable transportation (you've probably already included this) it's a good idea to make sure kids understand all the intricacies of owning a car which would include general maintenance, tire pressure, oil and other fluids and how to perform basic car repairs...which they will want to know in case they get stranded with a flat tire.

Your idea is a stroke of brilliance! Good job!

Denice said...

I was just about to add laundry to your list but saw it at the bottom...nice! :)

Hepworths said...

Seriously the snow is KILLING ME! This is a great idea Heth, I especially like the "beware of what's in your wallet, in case of loss..." How many times has my identity be taken because I've had passports, social security cards, etc in my WALLET. Blast. You'll have to post on how it all turns out. ps, we need to talk asap. im serious.

Heather Bankhead said...

yeah, actually closet space is something i really pointed out the first day. due to the fact that i once moved into an apartment and realized too late that there was no closet. water pressure is another biggie. all this hair does not get rinsed when water doesn't come out right.

trish, thanks for your ideas. i will mention the down time, especially for new college students. and, i still don't know the intracacies of owning a car. i keep meaning to get a book or something. i just know i am supposed to change the oil.

Kelley said...

Okay, I'm late here. Sorry.

I really, really wish someone had given me a copy of or steered me toward Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover" when I was still young and stupid. Instead I had to go through 10 years of stupidity making me old and stupid. It has made such a powerful difference in my life since I read it, and I highly recommend that kids read it BEFORE they leave home. Seriously.

gk risser said...

Man, I wish someone had taught me that crap before I moved out. The closest I got was that epsode of the Cosby Show where Theo has to pay rent to Harvey Weewax.

Good work Heather Bloghead.