Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Thing about Living in Utah

is this:  i have family around.  

i've been the one that lived far away for the past 12 years of my life.  despite this, i just realized i've been on my own for a long time. 

until recently, i didn't know i didn't know this.   

Sunday night i cooked meatless chili for my vegetarian cousins.  it was pretty gross, but that's okay because vegetarians are used to eating gross things.  scott and annalyn gave me advice on paint, getting furniture upholstered, and talked with me about my classroom.  today, scott gave me two versions of the audio book of the next novel i'm teaching at school.  i needed it and was going to have to buy it for $25.

a couple of weeks ago, i finally went and got new license plates for my car.  of course i didn't put them on right away.  when my dad noticed, he took my keys and went out in the ice and put them on.  

despite the fact that i am trying hard to be especially frugal, i couldn't stand to buy my needed pots and pans at the DI.  it was just too gross and rusty a day for me.  i told my parents the story.  a week later, i had a huge box of pans.  

i moved into my sort-of grandma's apartment.  she told me i didn't have to pay rent until i got my first paycheck from the district.  

when i moved into said apartment, my mom and best friends spent a Saturday helping me clean it.  

i hadn't know how nice it is to be helped.  living away family, i've either forged things out on my own (experience i value) or asked for help when needed from friends.  i hate asking, though,  so it was always uncomfortable.  but, here, with my fam, it's normal.  and it's incredibly relieving.  

i also love being so close.  usually my family visits are a big deal because they involve a plane ride.  now, i can run out to my parent's house for dinner on a Tuesday, go see my grandma for a weekend, and go running with my cousin.  i know these things seem so simple to most people.  but the fact that i have missed such a life during my adulthood makes me quite appreciative of it now.  it is very fulfilling to be an active dynamic in the lives of the people i love. 

my dad recently told me that i should settle down.  "a rolling stone gathers no moss," he reminded me.  coincidentally, an old boyfriend used this exact phrase the other night at dinner. except from the other view, "you're a rolling stone.  you can't stay in one place.  it's not who you are."  

two men that know me best, each understands a different side of me.  i am tempted to stay because i am happy here.  but i am tempted to go because i always curious and restless.  

who knows.

7 comments:

Tamara said...

i envy your current position. the only time i was near family since turning the age of 18 was when my sister and i were attending college together. i've been living without being near family for almost as long as you. reading your comments have made me want to give more help to others that live like i do. people shouldn't have to ask for help, it should be in our nature to give. come settle down with me in europe. hehe

Unknown said...

This made me a little homesick, those are the things I miss about living close to family. But, there are so many things I would miss if I did live in Utah... For now, I'll be content in RI.

Joy and Ted said...

I loved that post. Family is one of God's greatest gifts. I miss you!

Unknown said...

oh heth, isn't it nice being home for awhile. i'm glad you're here too. hopefullly i can SEE YOU MORE!!

Unknown said...

aHHHHHH, heather, tim is me, christy. didn't realize my dad was logged in, ha.

Trishelle said...

Being close to family is a pretty amazing perk. I'm impressed by your vegetarian cooking prowess.

You know, there is something great about being a rolling stone. You see the world, have lots of adventures and have that 'wind in your face' fresh look about you....plus you don't get all mossy and slimy. We'll love the time you are close while your here but be totally excited for you when your next adventure comes.

Tiffany said...

I really don't know how you, someone who I know for certain treasures her family has been able to stay away for SO LONG! I LOVE that you are here and that you are living at the 2nd place that we frequent the most. I love you!