Friday, February 27, 2009

Fitting In

today was a small victory in my two week teaching life at this new school.

my students played a game with out anyone getting in trouble.  this would not have happened in Philly.

sophomores Zach and Ben teased me after class about my big fish/small fish analogy.  then i later heard them discussing it in the hallway.  these are two boys who, on my first day as their teacher, gave me the "Who The Hell Are You" look and put in their earphones as soon as i started talking.   they take them out now when i raise my eyebrow.  and they participate.

also on my first day with the sophomores, Cecelia got mad that i wouldn't let her talk to Tangi during the assignment.  she sat in the back of the room repeating over and over:  "i hate her." today Cecelia asked for my help.

the second day of teaching said sophomore class, i felt sick before school and i had to stop writing on the board in class because my hands were shaking.  i laughed inside at that today as i distinctly noticed the return of my confident and strict tone and saw positive responses in the students.  phew.

i handed out an essay assignment and no one grumbled.  it even has to be typed.    

Matthew, who three days ago whined about not watching any movies, exhaled in excitement when i told him the next book we're reading. you know that, "hoooooooa!"

Bryan was new to our school last week.  his English transfer grade was an F.  when he turned in a half-completed assignment, i gave it back with a "No way, man.  You finish that thing or it's unacceptable."  he has done extra on every assignment since and still waves at me in the hallway.

these may seem like small things, and they are.  but any teacher out there will understand each one's significance.

9 comments:

Sue Anne said...

You and Jane and Dave--high school teachers all. You all have great courage and my admiration. I was nearly undone by elementary age students in my long ago teaching years.

Unknown said...

You da lady, Heather. You're a born teacher. You're setting expectations and your kids are responding. Fantastic. Keep it up!

Tiffany said...

Wow!! That is awesome! Way to go teach!!

benniegirl said...

You've figured out how to connect with them! Impressive!

Unknown said...

Actually I am not a school teacher but I do teach piano and voice lessons every day of the week and then teach primary music. I completely understand what you are saying. Each little insignificant thing is noted down in my mind and remembered. You never forget the progress each child makes from beginning to end. Excellence can only be acheived through some by expecting it and asking it from them. Hurray for you!

Denice said...

I think this is so awesome Heather! Way to go!!

Derek Bitter, M.A. said...

Socrates also says that the power is in each of us. And "education" means "to bring forth" (I think, but you probably knew that). Point is, that's what your doing. Bringing out power in those kids. nice work. Socrates tips his hat.

Heather Bankhead said...

thanks to everyone, including Socrates.

actually Derek i am interested in reading that book.

Heather Bankhead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.