Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Glitter

my favorite gift for my last birthday was a pink, glittery bouncy ball. it was from my sister. possibly i loved it for its sharp contrast from my then-boyfriend's gift, which revealed all too clearly that we needed to break up; possibly it was because i liked that on my 31st birthday--an "old woman" birthday--i was given a child's toy; possibly it was because i appreciated that Kaylee understood why that particular present was the perfect thing to give me.

probably it was simply something that i have left over from my childhood: a thing for bouncy balls. and, as with most things, the glitterier the better.

i also as an adult woman still love twirly skirts. i even brought two with me on my little trip.

this tendency for girly things explains why, when at dusk Nellene in Nashville said, "Heather, go look out the door. You will love it," she was right. out side her sweet little farmhouse, the fields that spread in front of it were sprinkled with twinkling fireflies. such a sight is purely delightful to me.

not to say that boys can't appreciate fireflies. but i will venture to say they don't like them for the same reasons i do.

from that night on, we went on walks in the night as often as we could, just to be in the fireflies. besides the people here, these just might be my favorite things about the South.

2 comments:

Heather Bankhead said...

i was just going to tell you to read this.

Brian and Nellene said...

I loved our fire fly walks! That was my favorite part of the trip. I always try to get Brian to look at the fire flies with me but he just doesn't get it. I think your glitter theory might explain it!