Tuesday, June 22, 2010




there are many wonders to behold about modern technology. it's amazing how much convenience is added to our lives because of it.

facebook, for instance, definitely comes in handy beyond just checking up on old friends. it can also prove your identity.

one night Nellene and i went to a club in East Nashville to listen to music. much to my chagrin, i realized right before we went in that i'd left my ID back at the house. Argh! #1: listening to live music is one of the purposes to Nashville, and to do that one actually needs to get into the club; #2: who leaves their ID hanging around by itself? bad babysitter.

not willing to give up easily, we ventured into the club anyway. oddly, the "bouncer" at the door just nodded at us and let us pass. he was more concerned with his laptop and cigarette than us. besides, we look like good girls.

i was confused. what?-- no cover? what?-- no ID? seeing the large bar that took up the majority of the little room, i knew that wasn't possible. so, much to Nellene's chagrin this time, i went back and spoke up.

"um...are we going to have to show ID? because i don't have mine."

the bouncer looks at me like i'm an idiot. "of course i have to see your ID."

then ensues a conversation about how i'm not going to drink, how we are obviously over 21, how we came clear from Salt Lake City, how he wasn't going to ask us anyway, and how all of this really didn't freaking matter; i still needed my ID.

eventually, he goes and asks the manager. it was to no avail.

i think because he once played music himself at some club in SLC and Nellene started talking to him about it (even though neither of us knew what place he was talking about), he eventually agreed to at least let me through and try to sway the manager myself.

now, i know i have a certain level of skill in the use of my feminine prowless. it has come to my aid on a few choice occasions and i am positive there have been jobs i landed due to flirting. the Teach for America gig I definitely did not get based on my academic background. my final interviewer had a mini crush on me, and i definitely milked that. this is not bad, it is survival. if ya got it, use it.

so, when i walked up to the manager and saw his response to me, i knew all would be ok. a few little tricks, him sighing in feigned exasperation, and finally, the solution:

"Do you have a facebook account that will show your age?"

victory.

and that is how i got into the club in Nashville with out my ID. i knew i wore that red lipstick for a reason.

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Love it! Hooray for facebook! He just wanted to look at your profile ;)