Monday, November 3, 2008

BOOday


there is not much to easily compare with my last two birthday celebrations: my philly babies going crazy singing to me in packed hallways at school, making cards, writing cute messages on the board (that was likely the only day i let them write on my board), bringing funny little teacher mugs and parents dropping off treats. there are a lot of times that i miss my students.

this year was a different good. no stress.

we started out with L. reminding me that she let me sleep in.


then Rach made Rachel's Surprise Spooky Birthday Smoothies out of watermelon, mango, and these cute little tiny bananas.



it was quite the cooking day for her. then, she made a cake.



we later went and got manicures and pedicures, and then took the girls trick-or-treating at the Embassy. Cara made these amazing costumes.






later that night, we hit up the ward party. let me tell you, ward parties in Brazil are quite different from those back home. more food, more music, more dancing, more hours into the night. it was fun.

Taiza and her boyfriend, Allan from Sao Paulo, who surprised her with a birthday visit.




finally was the birthday party at Erico's and Taiza's home. Taiza and i share a birthday, which was a sweet realization when we first met. Gabi and Mindu made feijao mexicano and we ate Rachel's birthday cake, which turned out fabulous.





with the birthday cake, came the Brazilian tradition of giving speeches. luckily, they let me give it in English.


it really was a great day. i love the celebratory manner of our sweet Brazilians. would've been a perfect day if only my mom could have done her usual call at the break of dawn to sing me happy birthday in her sleepy voice. that's my favorite. i'll make her pretend it's my birthday some random day in January.

Thank you for all of your birthday wishes!

3 comments:

Lanell said...

Now that's what I call a birthday celebration!

Mary Ann said...

Ok, I am dying with jealousy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You are having so much fun and all the people that are around you seem so nice. Your cake turned out perfect!

Heather Bankhead said...

yes, it was very perfect. mare--i need to talk to you about pie crust. you know how i feel about dough. not to mention that flours here are quite diff. help!