Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Election

today of all days i wish i was still the teacher to my Philadelphia students. i would love to be talking to them about this historic win. Obama's election is a victory of many levels for our country, and i am especially happy for the triumph it is for my students.

Hooray!

Rachel and i went to an Election Night Embassy Gala last night. we haven't been around so many Americans for weeks, and it was actually really odd to hear English as the background murmur instead of Portuguese. the refreshments were all mini-American food: tiny hotdogs, hamburgers, french fries, cotton candy, pizzas, movie popcorn. i'd never realized that stereotypical American food is all junk! it was amusing to me that along with all the attempts at Americana, the non-alcoholic drinks available were papaya and mango juice. at least the Brazilians provide nutrition. there was a pretty good jazz band playing in the background, and after they were finished, of course, the music changed to Elvis and Bruce Springsteen.

4 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Heather- I am so happy. I wish everyone could understand how great this is.

Trishelle said...

Oh Heather, I am soooo happy for your students! Even if they don't understand yet, they will someday.

Brazilian food is mighty scrumptious (I just had the Americanized kind). What's your favorite so far?

Heather Bankhead said...

mare--they will.

trish--my favorite things here so far are the popsicles. of course!

Unknown said...

did Rachel really vote...looks like you guys got some SUN