Monday, November 24, 2008

Procrastination

I am starting to lose my good habits of blogging. I can already feel it, and I've only been a consistent blogger for about a month.

I keep putting it off because there are so many things that I need to post, that I think too much about what's next instead of just doing it. The times I can actually wait for things to load are pretty few and far between as well, since the computer I use is shared by many.

But a few things from lately: I accidentally contributed to Brazilian crime today, as my friends Fernando and Gabi made sure I was aware. I needed yet another watch because the last one I bought at the Paraguayan market stopped working after being immersed in water one too many times. When I told this to Taiza, she had no sympathy and chastised me for thinking I could by any sort of electronic item in Brazil. She said that everyone knows you get these kinds of things in the States. Today, Rach and I took a new route downtown and walked by this little old man selling watches. I had no intention of buying but peeked just because, well, ya never know. I found one that was obviously used, but it was sort of cute, looked like it worked, said it was water proof, and was only ten reais. So, I got it. Rachel said it was probably stolen, but I could feel good about it because the money would probably feed the man dinner. Later, Gabi and Fernando were both quite stern about how not good it was to buy anything from little old men on the street, even cute and hungry-looking ones, because it was supporting theft and enabling the problem.

After buying the watch, I hurried and washed it to get the second-hand grime off. I was doing this happily thinking I could soak it and it would be fine because it is water resistant. Well, it is obviously not water-proof, as the face has been foggy ever since.

I just can't win!

We watched our first Brazilian futebol game last night with Erico and Mindu, both of whom are quite fanatics about the Flamencos. Anyone know of this team?

We had stake conference this past Sunday, and it was really nice to be there. We sat toward the back (when do you ever sit anywhere else for stake conference?) and I liked seeing the sea of dark hair. Excepting, of course Rachel and the occiasional fake blonde. I wish I could adequately describe the social mannerisms of the Brasilians. I love watching them. They are so full of open affection for each other. Best displayed in big groups. Elder Didier and his wife came, and I tried to listen for Elder Didier's French accent in his Portuguese. He definitely sounded more like a true speaker than the Americans do. Despite his great accent, I lost concentration about halfway through and ended up playing dots with Erico and having him point out to me what kinds of girls are pretty in Brazil. Rachel, however, got a lot out of the conference because she is more attentive to spiritual things in general, and she is getting really good and detecting Portuguese words in church like, Yes, no, and very good. She actually is quite good and understanding phrases, which is helpful to both of us. For once, I am not the one doing all the talking.

On the way home, I drove for my first time in Brazil and got a ticket. Blast. What are the odds? There is basically no speed limit enforcement here, except at the one place I happened to go through a bit too fast. I hope the ticket arrives before I leave so that I can keep it.

We are both starting to look for jobs for when we have to come back and start our real lives again. Keep us in mind if you see anything you think we'd like!

10 comments:

Ashley and Hallie said...

Wow! Looks like you're very busy, but having a lot of fun! Maybe we can send you a new Americanized watch for Christmas! :)

Mary Ann said...

Heather- you are absolutely killing me! You really got a ticket? oh and the watch. I know all about the sad old people, they were everywhere in Estonia. I remember watching this one old man who looked so hungry. We were about to get on the bus and had bought a few veggies at the market and I gave him this tomato. I will never forget the look on his face. I cried all the way home. And I wish I could watch Brazilians, just listening to you describe their mannerisms. Sounds fascinating. I love people watching. I love Didier- I saw him in Estonia too. Please keep blogging- I miss you so much that it really helps me to feel like I know what is going on with you. Love you!
p.s. how are your Thanksgiving plans going? still going all out?

Trishelle said...

I totally want to feed hungry looking people too so I would have done the same thing too!

As for 'water-proof' watch...shucks, time-telling is over rated anyway.

How cool is the fact that you can say you got a speeding ticket in a foreign country?! Not many people can say that!

Gabi said...

Hey... =D
So... The name of the team is Flamengo, not Flamincos... That´s the bird!!! =D

Hum... You can buy some really good watches here. Fernando and I bought ours here and they are pretty good. You just haveto know the right places... And if you don´t want to expend too much money, you probably will get some watch that won´t last too much... Well... My wacth was about $60 and it´s been working for 3 years... Anyway... And I don´t know about what Taíza told you... You CAN buy eletronics here... They are too expensive, but you can buy them. They´re as good as the american ones (oh yes... Because we get them from america...hahaha).

Don´t feed people on the street. I´ll show you a reserach showing that some of those guys on the street win $3000,00 a month. Trust me... They don´t need to be fead (?). =P

Hahaha... I don´t believe you got a ticket... "There is basically no speed limit enforcement here". Ok... If I understend what you´re saying, that´s no true... We have those cameras all over the city... We don´t have cops waiting for us to speed, but we have speed limit enforcement...

Oh... No... if you´re thinking I´m upset with that, I´m not. Don´t say you´re sorry... Hahaha!!! =D

Ok. See you! I´m counting the days for thanksgiving!!! =D

G.

Fernando said...

Ok... you finance crime, but we still like you.

Waterproof... pfff... ok.

Don't lose the nice habit of posting once every two days.

Kaylee said...

Heather! I miss you evry day.. and Mares little comment thing or whatever its called made me cry.. (ya mare you made cry good one. jk) come home to me!! where you don't have to worry about feeding old men or eating food you cant pronounce. if you dont have a liscense in Brazil what happens to you. well you aren't even a citizen so how does that work?? please explain further?

ps- you aren't just bad at blogging you are also bad at respondung to my e-mails. I AM YOUR SISTER FLESH AND BLOOD!! respond to my e-mails. I have much to tell you about my future.

Kelley said...

Heather! Hi! Do you remember me from Dugway?

I haven't read far into your blog since I just discovered it this evening, but I'll be back to read it all. (Unfortunately it's getting late, and I really should go to bed soon since my kids will wake up early whether I want them to or not.)

How long have you been in Brasil? Oh wait, I probably should just go read your blog for that information. Sorry. It sounds like you're having a wonderful time. It seems like another lifetime ago that I was a world traveler, and unfortunately I'm starting to forget a lot of it. :( People-watching in foreign countries is definitely an interesting pasttime.

Fernando said...

Yeah, you were right. You are procrastinating...

Hepworths said...

heather, for real, i hear you on the updating. sometimes, i'm so good, and then it just gets too crazy because i procrastinate and then have too many things to write about. ahhhhhhhhhhhh. i want to play with your brazilian buddies. i like them. maybe you should bring them home with you. i will look for a job for you IN MY TOWN WHERE I WORK!!!!!! YAY! that would be perfect. miss you.

Gabi said...

I agree with "The Hepworths"... I think you should take your Brazilian Friends with you to the US. And make sure you can feed them, take them in little trips, give them an alowence (?)... Hahaha!!! =D

Yeah... You're procrastinating... (I'm just saying, because I don't know what it means...Hahaha...)

Love ya.
G