Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Plunge

when you're looking up a big ol' rock above a pretty little calm patch of water, it seems perfectly reasonable to jump off it. can't be too bad, especially when your friend flies off it like it's nothin'.

i don't think i'm afraid of heights, though i am usually only in them attached to a harness or in a plane. however, it's unnerving to be looking down into water that is far, far away and that you know will take too long to hit after you leap for it. the perspective at the top of the rock is definitely different than at the bottom.

such were my realizations when standing on the edge of reason, willing my legs to stop shaking so i didn't lose all choice and simply fall of the blasted rock.

i turned to my friend, "Erico, I am going to die."
he said, "You will not die. But give me your earrings."

well i finally jumped. rach jumped first, and she came up, so i figured it must not be too bad. check this awesome picture.


it wasn't so bad.

after a while, we decided it was so easy that we might as well do it again, together.

it was just as bad as the first time. worse, maybe, because i realized my fear had not lessened and therefore i was right back where i started.

climbing.


climbing.


deliberating.


neither of us had the leisure of freaking out, since if we didn't jump together both efforts would be in vain. it is, after all, all about the picture.









Victory!

much to my chagrin, my watch was lost in the plunge. fortunately, my bathing suit was not.

11 comments:

Tiffany said...

Really those pictures are SO Awesome!!! I think you're having TOO much fun!

Mary Ann said...

OH MY GOODNESS! I think I just had a mini heart attack looking at these pictures!!!!!!!!!!!! I could never, ever, ever , ever do that!

camilla said...

ok you are much braver than I could ever be.

Heather Bankhead said...

haha-braver how? by jumping or plastering pics of yourself in a bathing suit in such a public place?

Fernando said...

This is Gabi, not Fernando, ok?!

Hahaha... I loved this last comment!!! I would do it... =D

Hey, nice blog. Great pictures. I wonder who took them!!! He is really good. =D
The video was amazing... Sooooo funny! All of us, crazy people screaming at Erico's driving...

I glad you're having so much fun here! That's the first thing you need to do to want to come back. =D

Love ya...
G

Fernando said...

Not my best angle on the last picture. And I shouldn't be there, anyway I think the cold water wouldn't let me move =D.

We should try a longer hike next time =D.

See ya,

Trishelle said...

Yahooo! That is AWESOME! My stomach lurched a little looking at your pics of the descent.

Denice said...

You are so brave! I think I could possibly jump once if I just did it without thinking too much but to actually climb up and do it again...I'm impressed! :)

tami said...

Love the pictures...love the bravery. Reminds me of a few crazy climbing adventures in Canyonlands :)

Hepworths said...

love the pic of the initial launch off the rock. your face is priceless. how in the world did rach not lose her flip flops? wish i were there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tamara said...

good job ladies! i love the swimsuit attire...all around.